The global medical packaging market is thriving, driven by the rapid evolution of the pharmaceutical industry and the increased demand for high-quality medical packaging solutions. In 2019, the market was valued at US$75.17 billion, and it is projected to reach US$113.68 billion by 2025, experiencing a healthy growth rate of 7.4% between 2021 and 2025. Effective medical packaging plays a critical role in ensuring the integrity and stability of pharmaceutical products during storage, shipment, and delivery, making it an indispensable component of the healthcare sector.
Pharmaceutical Industrys Growth Fuels Demand for Medical Packaging
The pharmaceutical industry, characterized by its vastness and competitiveness, has witnessed substantial growth, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic. Effective pharmaceutical packaging is essential for preserving medication efficacy and safety. Packaging encompasses all aspects from research and development to production and marketing, ensuring that medical products meet the highest standards and maintain their properties throughout their lifecycle.
Key Factors Driving the Global Medical Packaging Market
- Specialty Drugs: The rising use of specialty drugs to treat complex or chronic health conditions is a significant driver of the global medical packaging market. Specialty drugs currently account for 40% of the markets growth.
- Access to Medicines: The growth of the middle class in fast-emerging economies has increased access to healthcare and essential medications, driving pharmaceutical sales and, consequently, the medical packaging market.
- User-Friendly Packaging Solutions: Packaging with simple, intuitive designs that facilitate easy opening and sealing, visible dosage indicators, and clear labeling has contributed to the growth of the global medical packaging market.
Enormous Global Demand for Medical Packaging
In 2020, global medicine consumption reached 4.7 trillion doses, a 25% increase from 2015, highlighting the vast opportunity in the medical packaging market. With approximately 4,167 approved drugs out of a total of 14,549, it is evident that a substantial amount of medical packaging material will be needed to meet the growing demand.
Stringent Quality Standards Govern Medical Packaging
Medical and pharmaceutical packaging adhere to rigorous quality standards, including ISO9000: Quality Management Standard and PSO9000: Pharmaceutical Packaging Materials Standard. Compliance with these standards is essential to ensure the safety and efficacy of medical products.
Packaging Formats and Materials in Demand
- Bottles: Bottles are expected to dominate the global medical packaging market, accounting for more than 32% of the market share during the forecast period. They are cost-effective, infection-resistant, and offer enhanced security.
- Pouches and Trays: Swift adoption of cost-effective, infection-resistant, and security-enhanced formats like pouches and trays continues to drive the medical packaging market.
- Blister Packs and Glass Vials: Blister packs and glass vials are witnessing significant growth due to applications such as contact lenses, diagnostics reagents, and related substances.
- Materials: Plastics like PVC, PP, and PE are expected to remain dominant materials in the global medical packaging market, comprising over 40% of the market share.
Single-Use Packaging Products Gain Traction
The medical packaging industry is embracing single-use products as healthcare trends shift toward miniaturization and compactness. These trends drive the demand for efficient packaging solutions, with applications ranging from blood bags for storing blood and blood components to intravenous (IV) bags and dialysis bags.
Front Runners in the Global Medical Packaging Market
- Asia Pacific: With its large population and demographics, Asia Pacific is projected to lead the global medical packaging market, holding approximately 46% of the market share in 2019. Government commitments to healthcare, healthcare spending, and population health-seeking behaviors further boost the regions dominance.
- United States: The U.S. healthcare system, driven by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), leads global healthcare spending, accounting for 17.8% of the countrys GDP. In 2023, the U.S. is expected to spend $4.3 trillion on healthcare. The pharmaceutical industry invests heavily in research and development, contributing to the nations status as the top country for medicines spending.
- India: The Indian Government has implemented substantial reforms to strengthen the healthcare sector, allocating Rs 2.23 lakh crore for healthcare and wellness initiatives in the Union Budget 2021-22, a 137% increase from the previous year.
Companies Expand Capacity to Meet Soaring Demand
Key players in the global medical packaging market include Westrock Company, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Amcor plc, Berry Global Group, Inc., Mondi Group, Ardagh Group S.A., Sealed Air Corporation, Nipro Corporation, Catalent, Inc., West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., UDG Healthcare, and others. These companies are focusing on capacity expansion to cater to the growing demand for medical packaging.
Browse Global Medical Packaging Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Regional Outlook, and Forecast 2021-2025-[2023 UPDATE Available-Forecast 2023-2030*] (By Material Coverage, Application Coverage, By Geography, Leading Companies): https://www.fairfieldmarketresearch.com/report/global-medical-packaging-market
Pharmaceutical Packaging Market: https://www.fairfieldmarketresearch.com/report/pharmaceutical-packaging-market
Intelligent Packaging Market: https://www.fairfieldmarketresearch.com/report/intelligent-packaging-market
Fairfield Market Research
UK +44 (0)20 30025888
USA (Toll-free) +1 (844) 3829746
This press release first seen on Brilad
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Daily Scotland News journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.